Saturday, September 15, 2007

Forgot to laugh







They slipped out of my life.

Walking back with a friend from lunch break yesterday, I wondered out loud why I haven’t laughed much in the past months. As I thought about it, I smiled, and my smile turned into a laugh easily. My lunch mate laughed too. What happened to the activities that made me happy before?

Playing music and writing help me to feel good and relax. Sharing time with good friends does too. I should make them a part of my life again, schedule them to make sure they happen. Knowing what makes me happy is not enough, it’s the doing that matters. Do it!

But do I really need do to something to be happy? I can slip into happiness without reason, from the inside out, from knowing that I am walking my personal journey, that everything is going to work out, and that I am surrounded by positive energy I can tap. Sounds good, but do it!

Do I need to go back to activities that made me happy earlier, or try new things? That does not seem important. I don’t feel bored with nice activities that I like up till now. And I know that I can always explore new things. But it’s fine to return to activities I like, and make them a regular part of my life. Do it!

Or do I need to buy new things to be happy? Well, I have been wondering about buying an iPod recently, especially after Apple sliced the prices in half. The new models look great, and even the old ones. I like the idea of carrying a wide range of music to suit my moods, in a “form” that fits any of my pockets, but with enough memory to forget it has a limit.

Anyway, I am happy as I am and with what I have. More possessions won’t make a difference. Except, I admit, I keep buying books, and they keep enriching my life. I enjoy browsing, buying, reading, and digesting books. Keep doing it!

So on the whole, about laughter and happiness, it’s remembering to do it that matters most for me. I’ll be it, do it, and schedule it if a week passes by without it.

As for today, I decided to join band practice and enjoy playing sax and listening to the others.

Photograph: HAPPY CHAOS BE MY GOVERNMENT - pavement art at Federation Square, Melbourne.

No comments: