Sunday, April 29, 2007

As is Where is






















"Only those who have awakened know that they were sleeping."

From: As is Where is - by Jim Paredes.



When the silence is golden, it is just silence. There is no obligation, no pressure to do something or to have something.

People who realize this will seek silence for its authenticity. They know that silence is the source of enlightened consciousness for everyone.

“This is the silence that is open and free”, says Jim Paredes in his new book As is Where is. “This is the truth of simply being, the silence that has no requirements.”

It is his third book, after Humming in My Universe, Between Blinks, and Writing on Water. Jim discovered silence through years of living consciously in the way of Zen, and has released his creative genius in ways that inspire many people to follow a similar path.

When I joined Jim’s creativity class more than three years ago, he asked us to release ourselves from media influence for two weeks (radio, tv, music, books). The result was immediate for all who complied with his request, as our creativity blossomed.

Jim writes about always being ready to experience life as it is. “The way to the unknown is the unknown”, he says, advising us to “throw away your old map. Only a new road will get you to a new destination.”

If there is anything constant in our lives, it is change. Yet we tend to believe that our spiritual journey is based on constant truths. Until we discover that our appreciation of truth also evolves as we grow in our experience. For one, we realize that we attract what we need to grow, including unexpected encounters with life’s paradoxes.

In the introduction to his new book, Jim writes about noticing a different feel to the topography of his own spiritual journey. Leaving the green and lush behind, he encounters “dried patches of a new, arid landscape”. He shares how it spurred his sense of being challenged to “explore new territories where God is hard to find, or is unlikely to be, but is in fact present.”

Jim keeps challenging us to live forward and let go of things that supported us yesterday. “It’s as if we are flipping a switch”, he says, “from sleep to full awakening.”
Seeking out silence is an essential part of that daily journey.

As I write this, I feel encouraged to be awake. In fact, this Sunday morning feels to me like no other. Peace is here as I allow myself to enter its realm of silence. I feel better connected. Thank you, Jim!



Photographs: Jim Paredes' latest book, and the author.

6 comments:

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

Thank you Wouter for your kind words on the book. May you have a healthy dose of compassion and love as you go on with the journey.

Jim said...

Hey wouter,

I don't have your email and so I am writing you here. Can I ask you to do something? Only if you are comfortable with it. Can I ask you to write a comment or review of the book on my page at lulu.com? YOu can even post what you wrote here. Also, can I quote your post here on my blog?

Feel free to say no and there will be no problem with me at all.

Thanks,

Jim

Leah said...

I just finished reading humming in my Universe and I cant wait to get this book as well. I'll be starting his 2nd book soon.

Saxman said...

Thanks Leah, enjoy the read!

Jim said...

hey wouter,

Thanks for the rave review at lulu.com. Leah, I hope you enjoy the book.