Sunday, May 20, 2007

Continuous learning

















Everyone needs a coach, according to the life coaching motto.

That includes coaches, so I decided to take one too and selected
Fiona Harrold, England’s best. I signed up with her and I am now guided by her book Be Your Own Life Coach. 30 minutes per day, I can do that.

Reading testimonials of people whose lives changed dramatically with Fiona's help took me by surprise. And a large mug of Tazo green tea made the exercises even more enjoyable.

Continuous learning is popular nowadays, and it was recently identified by the New York Times as the prime cause of living longer. My past week felt like a kaleidoscope of continuous learning. I studied about networking and collaboration. I learned a great deal from my kids.

I discovered new lessons in leadership, and in pain. I found out that Yellow Tail wine from Australia tastes… just to my liking. From friendship and quiz games, my knowledge of celebrities expanded. I rediscovered the magic of swimming underwater in the early morning.

I saw a friend taking steps to move forward in life to realize unfulfilled dreams, while another friend received a sought-after assignment from the highest authority in the land.

I felt the pressure of writing a column with a deadline, and realized the benefit of getting good last-minute advice. I read about a new type of position, a chief relationships officer.

I was stimulated by being surrounded by friends working on projects and writing papers at the same time, while a good friend was enjoying a break with cycling in France. I was inspired by colleagues in several talks about their projects.

I pondered more on leadership, what it is, and what it isn’t. I asked and received a change of tutor in my life coaching course. I helped my older daughter select a dress for a friend’s birthday party and walked with her in a mall while she was reading a book on Anne Boleyn’s sister.

I coached my younger daughter about reading her lines on life in ancient Sparta. I found out that I have longer breath in the afternoon when swimming the length of the pool under water.

What does this all add up to? No story, just my life.

Photograph: Variety in life – my daughter’s collection of guitar picks.

No comments: