Monday, June 12, 2006

Writing is lonely


Writing is lonely, because I have to do it. I have to show up every time, support or no support. But I experience so much help, especially from Gail Sher’s book (see my first post Deciding to Write). In the last few days, I learned more valuable lessons, like dedicating your writing before and after, to let go of it. She says that “Waves of the Sea belong to the Sea.” How true, in terms of creative work. I also experienced the truth in her advice to write with a straight back, since it improves energy flow. I really feel privileged that I got hold of her book.

Today I attended a school rehearsal for a Broadway musicals show. And I was promptly asked to contribute with a sax solo. The Universe caught me, and I was happy about it. I need a kick to get me back to playing music again, and today I realized how much creative energy has been locked up inside. So I spent time checking Broadway songs that could be articulated by sax, and I finally decided on With One Look, from the musical Sunset Boulevard. If the organizers accept it, I will start practicing right away, since the performance is on 24 June.

Writing is now rejuvenating and empowering me, and I want some extra bubbles in that mixture. Music may just be what I need to open up some more.

Photograph: Writing at the foot of the Pyramid of the Sun, Teotihuacan, Mexico.

No comments: