Monday, November 12, 2007

Half step forward, a civilized stride





















It was still early morning when I entered the restroom in the brand new airport of Jinan in China’s Shandong Province. I had arrived at 6 am to catch the 8 am flight to Hong Kong and found the airport still closed. For the first time in my life I saw an airport’s morning ritual of staff and travelers arriving and counters opening.

By 7 am I was through check-in and immigration, and found a coffee shop where I enjoyed a cup of “Minded Coffee”. It helped me with waking up.
And then, when I visited the restroom before boarding, I saw another example of unusual English usage that broadened my horizon. "To preceding half step A civilized stride". The meaning was clear enough, even if the English was not. A half step forward goes a long way in maintaining cleanliness in that public place, so it is a step forward for civilization.

























And as I did what was requested, it occurred to me that taking a half step forward can make a difference in other situations too. For me, it is often challenging to take that first small step to get me going in my journey to improve “civilization” in myself and my surroundings. The same challenge, time after time.

Photographs: Coffee (top) and restroom request (bottom) at Jinan international airport, Shandong Province, China.

No comments: