Saturday, November 17, 2007

Not what it seems





















I liked the apartment, which had been renovated with cool furnishings that created a zen-like atmosphere. The broker said she knew the owner … and later I heard from another broker that it was her own apartment.

I was also shown several other attractive places … and it turned out that they had been taken already.

The soy cappuccino was frothy and smooth to the taste. The Starbucks barista had smiled like there was no tomorrow… and I had to repeat my order three times … and I received way too much change … and my friend was served a drink he hadn’t ordered.

Reality is different for each one of us, and everyone interprets it in their own way. And besides, the more I think I know reality, I realize that I don’t.

On that day that everything turned out differently, I felt as if I could see the world around me with new eyes … and that was probably an illusion too. But I felt lucky anyway.

Photograph: Unusual blouse at Métissages, A Crossbreeding of Contemporary Art and Textiles, exhibition in the National Museum, Jakarta.

No comments: