Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sprinkling stardust






















When Victoria opened the cloth placed in her hand there was only dust, not the star she had asked her boyfriend to bring her as proof of his love.

To find the star, Tristan had passed through the opening in the village wall into the unseen world where extraordinary magic was the staple food of everyday life.

When he came back to his girlfriend to set her free of their earlier vow, he was a changed man. He had fallen in love with a true star.

The movie kept my daughter’s eyes glued to the screen while she munched her popcorn quietly.

Crossing the walls between us and magic is easy to do for children, and for the boy in me, if only I allow myself to explore that realm on a daily basis.

The stories I bring back seem like dust, but through my own tranformation, I can sprinkle magical stardust whenever I like.

Photograph: From tears to art, at Métissages, A Crossbreeding of Contemporary Art and Textiles, exhibition in the National Museum, Jakarta.

No comments: