Sunday, August 27, 2006

Quality living


Time has passed since my last posting, and today I added many I wrote during the past few weeks. I returned to my home in the Philippines from vacation, and then traveled to Europe again to visit Sweden for work. I came back to my home in the Philippines again, and my body is still confused in the morning (how to get up) and in the night (how to get to sleep). I managed to get up rather early this Sunday morning – having a delicious double espresso helped to help me get started. My attractive retro-styled coffeemaker churned out a delicious if somewhat sour brew from two Nespresso capsules, one black Ristretto and one yellow Finezzo.

I enjoyed the company of several friends in the Nordic capital of Stockholm last week. A visit of contrasts, from a tiny hotel room in a designer hotel, to the wide-spaced city of waters and old buildings and passages filled with domestic and international tourists of all origins. Most of all, the visit reminded me of the importance of quality living. A colleague became a friend as he unwittingly showed me how to live life with high standards, intensity of purpose, and unceasing humor. Others I rarely meet because of distance demonstrated that friendships last and can deepen every time. Flowing wine added to the color and flavor of our meetings, amidst exuberant Stockholmers celebrating life in the street in the short span of their summer.

On the way back aboard the Thai jumbo, I unexpectedly found myself talking for hours with a seat mate about life, music, relationships, burning out, living in the present moment, and training dogs. I was empty of expectations for this return trip, and found that space was created for another traveler and me to share quality time and develop friendship.


Purple

Purple covers warm
souls exchanging unexpectedly –
Opportunities that knock brightly



Photographs: Stockholm waterfront, Modern boutique hotel

No comments: